Amazon Affiliate Disclosure Notice: It is important to also note that The X fire is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, endless.com, smallparts.com, myhabit.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program.
A lot of bikers are getting interested in installing a motor on their bike, whether it is DIY or done by a bike specialist. The interest sparks from the idea that it could be cheaper than buying that an entirely custom motorbike. Aside from this, it allows bike riders to design a motorized bike based on their preference and riding style.
With such an opportunity of building your bike that you can set apart from mediocre bike design, a lot are gambling their chances by making their custom motorbike according to the parts that they prefer.
Despite the infinite options available when buying a bike, it cannot be denied that there’s no one-size-fits-all kind of bike because every biker has their preferences. Some will look for bike designs that are not in trend while others will go for the type of bike that makes their riding experience comfortable and amazing at the same time, trendy.
Even so, to achieve that dream bike, you always wanted a lot of hobbyists and bike enthusiasts to share their secrets and tips in building a motorcycle without stashing your budget. You can start your project by immersing yourself in smart ways on how to put a motor on a bike.
Materials you’ll need:
To customize your bike, what you will need are the following:
- Motorized bike engine – You should buy the full kit instead of buying the parts to ensure that every piece that is contained in the kit is compatible.
- Automotive tools including pliers, zip ties, measuring cups for 2T oils and gasoline, gasoline containers, spray lubricant, starter fluid, a set of a screwdriver, wrench, knife, and a marker.
Part I. What to do BEFORE you install the motor?
Before you go directly on installing the engine kit you bought for your bike, you must read thoroughly the manuals that come with it. It enables you to recognize the degree of care and how you should handle the different parts of the engine kit when you unpack and install them on your bike.
Aside from these, there are pre-requisite actions to apply to install a motor successfully. These are:
- Match the type of engine that you want to connect with the bike’s frame. It is essential to know if the engine you are going to install fitted in the triangular space that you can find on your bike. If it doesn’t fit, then it means that you won’t be able to install the engine and that you need to find another bike frame where the engine will fit.
- Assess if your bike has one steel road that can be found at the upper side of the frame, for you to be able to install the tank.
- In search of the engine that you will install, avoid buying the parts separately. Always buy the full engine kit to ensure that every single of it complements.
- Check the engine kit’s full specification for you to determine if you got the kind of engine that you need.
Part II. What to do DURING the installation of the motor?
In installing the motor, you should pay a lot of attention to the step-by-step process because failure to do so would only damage your engine kit. Furthermore, it could bring your life in danger for not improper installation of the engine to your bike.
To install the motor to your bike, these are the processes that you should follow:
- Buy a bicycle frame that has a frame structure that can accommodate the engine and the gas tank that you will install on your bike. It is also good to put consideration on the type of material of the bike frame to ensure its sturdiness.
- Usually, people use old sprockets when they custom a bike, which shouldn’t be the case. The reason for not using the old sprocket of the bike is due to the low torque performance it will provide. However, if you install the new sprocket, you are rest assured that it is durable and is compatible with other parts that you bought along with the kit. To fit the sprocket, this is the best way you can do it.
- On the rear wheel of the bike, you’ll find two nuts. These should be opened using a ring spanner.
- Before you install the new sprocket, it is best to put aside the chain from sprocket found in the rear wheel.
- Separate the rear wheel from the bike for the meantime.
- Put the rubber bush in the tire’s shaft, which can be found on both sides.
- Use the new sprocket that is included in the kit you bought and attach it to the shaft’s rear wheel.
- Insert the nine screws using a screwdriver
- To remove screw easier, place a C-section washer. The most recommended type is the one made from steel as it is corrosive resistant.
- Use the nut to tighten the screw.
- Re-fit the wheel back to the bicycle.
- Install the engine in between the bicycle frame. To ensure the position of the engine is non-invasive to the biker as they pedal, use a bracket that is used for mounting.
- Even before you rotate it, don’t forget to install the sparks plug. This can be installed on the upper side. When you install the spark plug in the bike engine, it will allow the bike to start. Without it, the bike will not move.
- Installing a clutch decreases the risk of injury and accident. This should be mounted on the left side handle of your bike. The clutch is a vital motorbike part of installing as it is used to engage and disengage the engine.
- Even if the bike has installed the motor, you should not forget about the chains. In between the engine shaft sprocket and the bicycle sprocket, the string should be snugged in and use a master link to connect the chains.
- If you won’t be able to tighten the chain installed, it is best to use the chain tensioner. This will help in tightening the chains if it is pulled.
- To increase the supply of fuel for your custom bike, you need to use the accelerator bar. This can be installed on the handlebar, preferably at the right. To set up an accelerator, this is what you can do:
- Join the carburetor’s other end with the accelerators.
- Remove the bicycle brake on the right side.
- Replaced the brake found at the side with the accelerator
- To avoid movable parts in your bike, tighten the screws.
- After installing the accelerator, attach the carburetor to the manifold of the engine but pay attention to the cables as it should be in a straight position.
- Set up the gas tank above your bike’s straight bar and tighten it with a bracket.
- Using the tube, connect the gas tank’s exhaust manifold with the carburetor
- To have an exhaust structure for the bike, the muffler is attached to the exhaust engine with a bolt. However, make sure that the muffler attached has a gasket.
- Insert fuel to your tank, followed by 2T oil, which will lubricate the piston and the engine.
To ensure that your bike will run smoothly, you should buy the necessary engine kit that complements the bike frame. In this way, you rest assured that the motor you want to install in the bike frame fits.