Certain activities would require you to have specific gears or clothing. There can be a lot of reasons behind this. The first one is that proper clothing will provide comfort while engaging in a certain task. Another reason is that it can also provide safety and help in avoiding injuries. Biking, for example, is not a joke hobby or activity. It serves multi-purposes, and that is the reason why many people are engrossed in various bicycle riding gigs. For these people, one advice that they should consider is that they should wear proper biking clothes. That way, they can perform the act without having problems about their comfort and safety as well.
What is bike clothing and how they are made
Bike clothing can only be defined as the kind of attire that bike riders wear whenever they go for their biking gigs. Usually, you will see these clothes as fitted ones that are made of special materials that help the rider to remain comfortable despite sweating a lot. When you touch the clothing, you will feel that it is somewhat rubberized and it will give you a smooth feel. Why do these need by professional and enthusiastic bike riders? Here are some of the reasons why:
- It provides a lot of comforts. When you are engaged in biking, you will learn that it is not easy at all. It is an activity that will require a lot of energy from you, and it will make you sweat a lot. Sweating is one of the reasons why people feel uncomfortable. Proper bike clothing can help you deal with this particular problem, and it will provide you with utmost comfort. It is also not a secret that there are some cases when you feel like your butt is being hurt because of the long time it spends with the chair of your bike. Having the proper clothing can also help you avoid this.
- It provides safety from injuries. If worn correctly, bike clothing can eventually assist in preventing the rider to sustain injuries. There are types of clothing that cover large portions of the rider’s body. Thus when unfortunate events happen such as accidents, the rider can have some protection. Abrasions and cuts can be avoided if the body has protection. The same can be said when a person was wearing pants trips and falls to the ground. No injuries can be sustained under normal circumstances as compared to when the one that falls is just dressed in a short. The same principle applies to this matter.
- It provides free movement. In bike riding, freedom to move the way you want to is very much important. It helps you get the job done. When you want to go faster, you need to hit that pedal faster, and you can do that if the clothing that you are wearing is proper for your activity. If you want to hit those breaks right away, you can do it when you have the proper clothing. Not having that might prevent you from doing that in a fast way. As you already know it, in activities such as biking, a split second of mistake can be very costly.
The important aspects of wearing bike clothing
As mentioned earlier, two issues need to be considered when wearing cycling clothing:
- This is one thing you can never compromise when it comes to activities such as biking. Even professional bikers would say that this is such an important thing. It serves as the equalizer with all the strain this business puts in their body. With that being said, bike clothing is necessary to provide comfort to all riders, professionals or not. To this end, one must make sure that they get the right kind of bike clothing. Comfort with this would depend on the personal choice and necessity of every rider. There are those that are comfortable with clothing that has to pad while there are those that don’t prefer these. The selection process is just as important when it comes to picking comfortable bike clothing.
- This is equally important. Riders would say that they are doing everything that they can always to make sure that they are safe when they ride. This particular aspect can depend on the material used in producing these things. Some materials are durable enough to withstand external forces, and there are those that can’t. If safety is your primary concern, you should go for the former. After all, no rider would want to be involved in accidents and sustain injuries. Therefore, it is imperative that one must select the right kind of bike clothing. There are many choices out there, but you should pick the best for you.
What are the types of bike clothing?
There are many types of bike clothing that you should probably get for yourself. Here are some of them:
- These are the most common type of bike clothing. There are two variants for this – waist shorts and bib shorts. Waist shorts feature elastic waist bands that hold them up while bib shorts have braces built on them that support them. Experts say that between the two, the bib shorts are more comfortable. Among women, bib shorts are considered to be less convenient. The waist band is something that makes the difference of the level of comfort that bike shorts give.
- This clothing covers the upper part of the body of the rider. Most of the time, this is made of synthetic material or wool. It features high neck that helps protect the one wearing it against sun rays. It also has the zipper in front with varying lengths. There are also pockets at the back of the jersey that can help you carry stuff. Some jerseys have long sleeves while some have short sleeves. When the weather is hot, sleeveless jerseys can become a trend among bike riders.
- These are padded clothing material that is worn in the hands of the rider. In most cases, gloves come with leather palm that can feel like it comes with padding. It also features velcro strip that holds it in place on your wrist.
- These will cover the lower limbs of the rider. Usually made of soft but durable materials, these can be used to protect passengers from sustaining abrasions when they fall or when they crash while riding. More often than not, this is fitted clothing.
Recommended tips when wearing bike clothing
- Always take into consideration your comfort. This has always been one of the main concerns when it comes to choosing the right type of clothing for biking enthusiasts. Comfort is one of the main contributors for happy and safe biking, so this is one thing that should not be ignored. Therefore, if you are buying cycling clothes, you should make sure that you choose those that won’t give that feeling of uneasiness towards you. After all, you’ll spend money on it so you should make sure that you are comfortable with the gears that you wear.
- Wear them properly. Bike clothing can be useless if you don’t know how to wear them properly. Always make sure that you research or ask experts on how to wear them the right way. There are times when we think that we do the right job when it comes to wearing these sorts of things but we’ll be surprised at how wrong we are with the things that we do with them. Besides, wearing them properly will always give you that kind of comfort you will appreciate. Do not be shy to ask others if you don’t have any idea how.
- Keep them clean at all times. After using your bike clothes, make sure you clean them properly and store them at right places. Be careful when doing this. Do not think that just washing them with soap and water is enough. There are some tips that you should consider to make this happen. Carefully learn and practice them because that’s one way of preserving these gears that help you be comfortable and safe with your bike riding for a very extended period of time. Who wants to wear smelly and dirty clothing, right?
Wearing the right kind of clothing is essential in activities such as biking. Because the activity is something that requires a lot of energy and can be very exhausting, you should see to it that you become comfortable while riding. Also, you need to consider your safety above all. Wearing these things can help you avoid being injured while biking. When packing clothing for this activity, make sure that you choose properly. Always consider important aspects before buying one. Remember, you are to spend money for it so you should make sure that you get the best out there today. It might make you pay more, but at least you know it’s well worth it.
Starting on a starter tricycle at the age of 2, Danny has rarely been off a bike ever since. He spends most weekends riding through the woods near his house or taking longer bike trips on the road.